Janice Kim is a partner at Monchamp Meldrum LLP. Janice advises owners, developers, investors, landlords and tenants on a broad range of commercial real estate matters, including acquisitions, dispositions, development, management and leasing of commercial real estate and related business transactions. Janice’s experience includes transactions involving hotels, resorts, mixed-use projects, office buildings and industrial properties located throughout California. Janice assists clients in all aspects of a real estate transaction, from negotiating and drafting definitive documents to handling post-closing matters. Her representative transactions include advising clients on the following:
- $1.2 billion acquisition of hotel projects in San Francisco and Honolulu. Transactions involved analyzing complex ground leases and tax-efficient structuring.
- $700 million acquisition and leasing of hotel projects in Los Angeles and Honolulu.
- $65.5 million acquisition of office building in San Francisco.
- $120 million disposition of office building in Oakland.
- $120 million disposition of office buildings in Foster City.
- Acquisition of a real estate company. Transaction involved due diligence review and analysis of the company’s assets and liabilities and preparation of membership interest purchase agreement, entity documents, management agreement, employment agreement and development agreement.
- Partnership for strategic alliance for global fractional development and brand expansion. Authored various project agreements, including the master development agreement, license agreements, guaranties, technical services agreement and sales and marketing agreement.
- Development of the LA Live center in Downtown Los Angeles. Transaction involved negotiating various governing documents, including the master CC&Rs, residential CC&Rs, hotel management agreement, reciprocal easement agreement, master parking agreement and signage agreement.
- Office leasing for investors, as landlord.
- Retail leasing and ground leasing for a national bank, as tenant.
- Medical office leasing for a national healthcare provider, as tenant.
- Stadium leasing for an NFL team.
In addition, Janice participates in various pro bono projects, including the Federal Clemency Project and provision of immigration legal services with the International Institute of the Bay Area, and regularly represents non-profit organizations on real estate purchase, sale and leasing matters.
Prior to joining Monchamp Meldrum LLP, Janice was a senior associate at DLA Piper LLP and Holland & Knight LLP.
Memberships and Awards
- San Francisco Bar Association
- Hastings Law Review
- University of California, Hastings College of the Law
- University of California, Davis, B.A., Political Science and Rhetoric and Communications, with honors
Select Presentations and Speaking Engagements
- Drafting and Negotiating a Purchase and Sale Agreement Seminar (firm-wide), Presenter (March 2016)
- Association of Corporate Counsel Legal Audit Clinic – Leasing, Presenter (May 2016)